Monday, September 27, 2010

Reading with Brendan

Written By: Anne Bowen
Published: September 2008
ISBN: 0822579847






          In reflection of "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed  a Fly,"  Bowen shares the story of an old teacher, named Miss Bindley, a true kindred spirit of the infamous old lady who also has an ever-growing appetite of unappetizing objects. While a group of students spy on her, Miss Bindley devours a flea, a spider, a fish, etcetera, and as she feasts on one class pet after another, her students begin to wonder if children are on the menu too.

         My favorite book of all time is "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." My son also shares my love and favortism of this book as well. So it is with such delight that I recommend "I Know an Old Teacher" by Anne Bowen. 

         Brendan found this book, while searching through the picture books on the shelf at the library. He fell in love with the picture on the book and asked me to read it to him. We found an empty table and sat down. I opened the book and began to read.

         I read this book using the technique I use in reading  "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." While reading the book, my son had this huge smile on his face. He laughed hysterically at the idea of her eating different kinds of animals.  When she would swallow an animal, my son exclaimed with a look of fear and laughter on his face, "Mommy look out, she's gonna eat him."

       While watching him, I was brought back to the same look I had on my face when I first heard my favorite book read to me. I could not stop staring at him while he looked back through the book. After we left, book in his hand, he kept telling me about the book on the way home. He tried reading to his younger brothers, but they weren't listening as my son said. When he could, he sat by himself and read this book either out loud (in his own way) or to someone who would listen.

      I am happy to report that my son found his favorite book (for now) on our weekly visit to the library

       
      
     

No comments:

Post a Comment